Responsibility means taking concrete actions
For us at ISKU, responsibility has always meant taking concrete actions. Responsibility is our guiding principle covering everything from our suppliers and partners, material selection and design to the manufacturing processes and logistics. In 2020 ISKU received an international recognition for the decade of its sustainability work as the The European CEO Awards 2020 rewarded ISKU with The Company of the Decade in Sustainability in Finland. Read the full article here.
Investment in domestic production
• Since 2015 we have made vast investments in modernizing the factory, production process and its systems, logistics, as well as work ergonomics. By investing in our own production, we can guarantee our customers world class quality, accurate and reliable delivery, and customer-oriented production. This enables us to offer solutions with desired materials. We have renewed our building automation system, modernization of the ventilation units, changing the lightning for LED lamps and renewal of the dust removal system. By using renewable energy, we have since 2015 reduced our annual CO2 emissions by 500-600 ton.
• All our office furniture is manufactured in Lahti, Finland. As a result of the low level of VOC emissions and other environmental burdens, ISKU’s production operations have not required an environmental permit since 2015. ISKU has moved to using water-based stains, lacquers and paints in the production. All upholstery glues are solvent-free.
• One of Finland´s largest solar power park is being built in connection to ISKUs factory. The solar power park is being built during Autumn 2021 and Spring 2022. This is a significant investment in renewable energy: ISKUs solar power park will be the size of 2,8 MW and have the annual capacity of approximately 2500 MWh. A plant of this size reduces the CO2 emissions by around 355 tn, which is equivalent to about the annual emission of 116 passenger cars in terms of 20 tkm/car.
• We source 75% of our purchases from Finland and 99% from the EU. With a short supply chain, we can achieve the best delivery reliability.
• Our production produces less mixed waste than what a small apartment building produces. Almost all waste generated by the production can be recycled.
• We aim to reduce emissions in every possible way. We have centralized all production to Lahti, Finland. All our deliveries are made from one place. We have reduced the number of forklifts in production by 100. Our largest subcontractor operates inside the factory, minimizing transportation emissions. All deliveries in Finland are transported with vehicles that use renewable fossil fuel.
• In Finland, we use renewable electricity in all our showrooms. ISKUs headquarter has nearly 50 geothermal wells that are about 320 meters deep. A solar panel system has been installed on the roof, and the generated electricity is used for e.g., cooling the building and charging electric vehicles. These new energy solutions reduce the buildings CO2 emission by up to 90%.
• By renewing our packaging and replacing plastic with renewable material, we are annually using 20 000 kg less of plastic material. All packaging used by ISKU is recyclable as either energy or material.